The University Of North Dakota - Online & Distance Education

Course Information

3 Credits
Independent Study
$266.17 per Credit (No Fees)

Share |

We Can Help

Call or E-mail Us
Toll Free: 1.800.CALL.UND
View Contact Info

ART110: Introduction to the Visual Arts

Prerequisites: None
Undergraduate College Credit Courses
Enroll Anytime

Who Can Enroll?

Independent study courses give you the opportunity to take self-paced college courses when, where, and how you want! You may enroll at any time and have 9 months to complete your course.

Adult Learners

If you are an adult learner juggling the responsibilities of family or work, independent study courses give you the flexibility you need to pursue your educational and career goals. 

You choose the pace. You choose the space. You don’t need to worry about missing your child’s soccer game because you need to be at a 2-hour class every Thursday night. If you’re going out of town on business, you can take your exam next week...or even next month. 

Keep in mind that independent study courses have similar course content and rigor as traditional on-campus classes. Depending on your other commitments and responsibilities, we recommend that you only take one or two courses at the same time.

Employer-Provided Tuition Assistance

UND accepts company payments for employer-provided tuition assistance programs. Contact your human resource department to find out how you can qualify for tuition assistance.

Military Personnel

If you are active in the military, you can take your college courses with you…no matter where you go!

The University of North Dakota was ranked in the Top 3 of Military-Friendly Online Schools among a review of more than 200 accredited online military-friendly schools by Guide to Online Schools, a leading education portal.

UND also is approved to offer college credit courses through the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) program.

UND accepts certain types of military and veterans tuition assistance. Contact your military education or veterans’ administration office to find out how you can qualify for tuition assistance. Please note that the DoD does not offer tuition assistance for the enroll anytime independent study courses.

NOTE: Service members and veterans taking 100% of their courses online and who are enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill may also be eligible for a monthly housing allowance. Refer to the US Department of Veterans Affairs for details.

College Students

As a college student, you may enroll in independent study courses at any time to fulfill general education requirements or take a class that will not fit into your schedule on campus.

Independent study courses give you the flexibility you need. However, since they are open-enrollment and do not follow the semester schedule, they do not qualify for financial aid. 

For students at another North Dakota University System (NDUS) school, please note that you are not able to enroll in independent study courses under the collaborative student model.  You would need to pay the UND admission fee as part of the registration process.

Will the credits earned at UND transfer to another school?

The transfer of credits is always at the discretion of the institution to which the credits are being transferred. In general, credits that are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission transfer to other regionally accredited institutions.

Please check with your institution to verify if the course(s) will apply toward your degree.

High School Students

As a high school student, you may enroll in the lower-division credit courses (i.e., 100 and 200 level). By taking college-level courses during high school or the summer after graduating, you can get a head start on your college education.

Dual Credit in North Dakota

If you live in North Dakota, you may be able to simultaneously obtain both upper-level high school course credits and college course credits through a dual credit program adopted by the North Dakota Legislature. This law significantly increases your postsecondary enrollment options.

To determine your eligibility for dual credit or for further information on the dual credit program, please contact your school guidance counselor or principal.

To receive dual credit, you will need to:

Students with Disabilities

Disability Services for Students (DSS) provides reasonable accommodations to eligible UND students, including distance students. Accommodations are individualized to address specific functional limitations resulting from a disability.

IMPORTANT! You must be an admitted UND student before applying for accommodations with Disability Services for Students. You are encouraged to apply for accommodations IMMEDIATELY after being admitted to UND and registering for distance courses in order to facilitate DSS's ability to provide accommodations in a timely manner.