We Can Help
Autistic Spectrum Disorders
Begins every Fall (August), Spring (January) & Summer (June)
- 12 Credits
- 1+ Year to Complete
- Live Web "Chats" and Recorded Lectures
- Deadlines for Lessons/Exams
- In-State Tuition Regardless of Residency
Develop the skills and tools needed to address the challenges
faced by individuals with autistic spectrum disorders.
UND College of Education & Human Development’s online Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD) Graduate Certificate prepares you to serve individuals with ASD in a variety of settings, including at home or in schools, hospitals, state and private institutions, or other human service agencies.
As a graduate of the 1-year program, you will:
- learn methods for working with children and adults who have ASD.
- receive specialized training and resources designed for professionals, parents, and other caregivers.
- review the latest research on providing quality, lifelong services.
- gain access to a support network for families, practitioners, and professionals who work with individuals who have ASD in rural settings.
Through online courses, you will examine the:
- history, characteristics, and theory associated with the spectrum.
- programs and methods that are most commonly applied in practice with persons with ASD or are most frequently discussed in professional literature.
- chronic stressors experienced by caregivers and family members of persons with ASD.
- career/vocational options as related to the transition from high school through adult life.
- legal issues related to the provision of lifelong supports for persons with ASD.
- role and future of medicine and interventions for persons with ASD, including issues related to:
- conducting wellness examinations,
- medication treatments available, and
- treatments currently being studied.
Online Master of Science in Special Education
You also may pursue a fully-online Master's Degree in Special Education with an ASD specialization by completing 18 credits of ASD coursework and an additional 14 credits of master's coursework.