We Can Help
Graduate Certificate in English Language Learner (ELL) Education
Begins every Fall (August) & Summer (May)
- 20 Credits
- 1.5+ Years to Complete
- Interact in a Virtual Classroom
- Deadlines for Lessons/Exams
- In-State Tuition Regardless of Residency
Interested in a career as an ELL, ESL or TESOL teacher?
Online Graduate Certificate in English Language Learner (ELL) Education
The University of North Dakota’s online Graduate Certificate in English Language Learner (ELL) Education prepares you to teach English to speakers of other languages and serve culturally diverse students in K-12 education settings. UND's online ELL Education program has curriculum that is the same or similar to other English as Second Language (ESL) or Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) graduate certificate programs.
Completion of UND's online coursework leads to eligibility for the North Dakota ELL teacher endorsement and may completely or partially fulfill ELL, ESL, or TESOL endorsement requirements in other states.
Through online courses and practicum experiences, you will learn to:
- design and implement instruction that integrates English language development with academic learning.
- assess language proficiency levels of ELL / ESL students and use assessment results to plan instruction.
- apply knowledge of linguistics and second language acquisition to ELL / ESL instruction and assessment.
- understand the needs of ELL / ESL students from different cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- design and evaluate the effectiveness of ELL / ESL programs.
As a graduate of UND's ELL Education online program, you will:
- possess the knowledge and skills necessary to be an effective ELL, ESL or TESOL educator.
- understand the complex linguistic, educational and cultural variables in teaching diverse ELL / ESL populations, including immigrants, refugees, American Indians, and migrant children.
- gain the tools and skills needed to assist ELL / ESL populations in reaching their full potential as they make the U.S. their temporary or permanent home.
- understand research and scholarly literature in ELL / ESL education and continue to be a lifelong learner.
- help meet the growing need for ELL, ESL or TESOL educators, especially in rural areas.
- be equipped to become a contributing member of an increasingly global, multicultural society.
- become a collaborator, leader and advocate for ELL / ESL populations in schools and the broader society.
Optional Focus in Rural ELL / ESL Education
Because The University of North Dakota serves a large rural region of the country, the degree includes a unique option for you to specialize in rural ELL / ESL education. This optional focus includes:
- ELL / ESL program design in rural schools
- the role of the ELL teacher in rural schools
- issues, challenges, and alternatives in rural ELL / ESL education
Online Master’s in English Language Learner Education
As an alternative to the graduate certificate, you may pursue a fully online Master of Education in English Language Learner Education by completing 35 credits of master's degree coursework.