We Can Help
Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Engineering
Begins every Fall (August), Spring (January) & Summer (May)
- 135 Credits
- 6+ Years to Complete
- Recorded Lectures with On-Campus Labs
- Deadlines for Lessons/Exams
- ABET Accreditation (Pending)
Educating the Next Generation of Energy Experts
About UND's Distance Engineering Degree Program
With the University of North Dakota’s distance engineering degree program, you can earn your Bachelor of Science in Petroleum Engineering while you continue to live and work in your local community. Through online learning, employees from the following companies have earned their bachelor’s degrees in engineering while continuing to work:
- Agilent Technologies
- Hutchinson Technology
- Lucent Technologies
- Whirlpool Corporation
UND’s distance engineering degree program prepares you for the responsible practice of professional engineering and provides you with the necessary skills to begin your petroleum engineering career. You will receive a well-rounded education that emphasizes:
- critical thinking
- communication skills
- lifelong learning
As a student in the online Petroleum Engineering Program, you will:
- benefit from the strong partnerships the UND College of Engineering & Mines has formed with petroleum industry professionals in order to ensure that your education and research experiences are aligned with industry needs.
- participate in brief on-campus labs held at North Dakota Geological Survey's Wilson M. Laird Core and Sample Library, which represents about 75% of the samples collected from North Dakota's rich oil and coal reservoirs.
- learn to use the software that major petroleum-related companies are using for petroleum reservoir stimulation, petroleum production engineering, and numerical and experimental geomechanics.
As a graduate of the online Petroleum Engineering program, you will:
- be qualified to compete for entry-level positions in the petroleum industry and governmental agencies.
- contribute to the professional service and research for safe, reliable, and affordable energy production and environmental protection.
- possess the necessary skills to efficiently recover natural gas and petroleum from new and existing resources with minimal environmental impact.
- understand the scale and integration of systems, including: science and technology, economics and business, policy and regulation, and society and behavior.
- gain a strong background in ethics, safety, economics, information technology, leadership, management, and communication.
- develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to deal with technical and environmental issues in the petroleum engineering industry.