We Can Help
Master of Science - Psychiatric & Mental Health Nursing Track (CNS or NP)
Begins every Fall (August)
- 57-59 Credits
- 2+ Years to Complete
- Online with Some Live Web Classes
- One 1-Week On-Campus Visit
- Full- or Part-Time Options
- In-State Tuition Regardless of Residency
About PMH Nursing
As a Psychiatric and Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (PMH-CNS) or Nurse Practitioner (PMH-NP), you will be prepared as an advanced practice nurse to meet the mental health needs of:
- educational systems
The curriculum is designed for the adult patient.
As a graduate of the distance program, you will be able to:
- integrate theories, research, and experiential knowledge into advanced psychiatric and mental health nursing practice.
- demonstrate advanced practice psychiatric and mental health nursing (APMHN) skills in the provision of mental health care for adults that follow the American Nurses Association’s Scope and Standards of Practice.
- assume the roles and behaviors of an APMHN using research, leadership/management, and teaching strategies.
- demonstrate unique roles of an APMHN while collaborating within an interdisciplinary team.
- apply ethical reasoning skills and legal standards to APMHN practice.
- contribute to the development of psychiatric and mental health policy, nursing practice, and the profession.
After successful completion of your program, you will have completed at least 540 hours of clinical nursing and be eligible to complete the national American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) certification examination for:
- Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (Adult),
- Psychiatric and Mental Health Clinical Nurse Specialist (Adult), or
- Both Certifications (Adult).*
*In order to be eligible to sit for both exams, you must complete 5 additional credits of advanced clinical practicum (NURS 597).
Upon certification, you may obtain prescriptive privileges depending on the regulations of your state.
Note: If you already have your master’s degree in nursing, you may pursue your PMH-CNS and/or PMH-NP certification with the online Post-Master's Certificate program.