3+ Years to Complete
Face-to-Face Classes with Online Coursework
Classes Held Saturdays and Sundays in Bismarck, ND
In-State Tuition Regardless of Residency
We Can Help
Doctorate in Educational Leadership (PreK-12 or Higher Education Emphasis)
New students may tentatively begin 2014
Who Should Apply?
If you want a unique opportunity to enhance your leadership abilities and strengthen your organization, the off-campus Doctoral Program in Educational Leadership (EDL) is designed for you. UND's program emphasizes the preparation of upper-level administrators in:
- PreK-12 schools
- higher education institutions
- other non-profit educational settings
It is also designed for individuals who have career goals related to scholarly activity in positions such as faculty members, researchers, or policy analysts.
Depending on your career goals, you may earn one of the most two advanced degrees awarded by The University of North Dakota:
- Doctor of Education (EdD)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
In general, individuals interested in PreK-12 schools should pursue the EdD, and individuals interested in higher education, government, or other educational policy organizations should pursue the PhD.
During your initial coursework, your faculty advisor will help you to decide if the EdD or PhD is right for you.
IMPORTANT! The Doctorate in Educational Leadership distance program requires face-to-face meetings held in Bismarck, North Dakota. If you do not live in the area, you must be willing to travel to Bismarck to complete this program.
Admission Requirements: Doctorate in Educational Leadership
- Bachelor's and master's degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Completion of a minimum of 20 semester credits of appropriate and specified undergraduate work (PreK-12 emphasis only).
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.50 for all graduate work completed.*
- Professional resume (PreK-12 Emphasis: indicate your years of teaching experience; minimum of 3 years is recommended).*
- Educational leadership essay (maximum of 800 words).**
- Statement of professional goals.**
- Writing sample.**
- Three (3) letters of recommendation.**
- All non-native speakers of English are required to submit their scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or equivalent. Refer to the admissions information on the UND School of Graduate Studies website for details.
For detailed information on admission requirements and the application process, please refer to the UND School of Graduate Studies.