3+ Years to Complete
Face-to-Face Classes with Supplemental Online Coursework
Classes Held Saturdays and Sundays in Fargo, ND
In-State Tuition Regardless of Residency
We Can Help
Doctorate in Educational Leadership (PreK-12 or Higher Education Emphasis)
Begins Fall (August) 2013
Degree Requirements for PreK-12 Emphasis
- A minimum of 90 (PhD) or 96 (EdD) semester credits of coursework beyond your bachelor's degree. With approval, up to 30 credits from a master's degree may be transferred from another regionally accredited institution. A minimum of 50 credits must be from UND.
- Maintenance of at least a 3.0 GPA for all classes completed as a graduate student.
- Successful completion of comprehensive examinations in Educational Leadership and Educational Foundations & Research.
- Completion of a dissertation, which incorporates independent research work that is an original contribution to knowledge.
- Successful completion of a final oral examination.
For more information, please review the UND Department of Educational Leadership's Doctoral Programs and the UND Academic Catalog.
Tentative Program of Study for the PreK-12 School Emphasis
As a doctoral student, you are required to complete courses of study similar to the following. Depending on the availability of faculty and/or student needs, specific courses provided to the cohort may vary from those listed below. The faculty will consider your requirements on a case-by-case basis if you have already completed one or more of these courses or their equivalents. Based on your background and degree, you will likely be required to complete one or more additional courses beyond those provided to the cohort.
Prerequisite/Corequisite Courses for a PreK-12 School Emphasis in Educational Administration (20 Credits)
If your master's degree or specialist diploma did not include the following courses or their equivalent, you must complete the following as soon as possible after admission to the doctoral program.
- EDL501 - Leadership, Planning, & Organizational Behavior (3 Credits)
- EDL511 - Effective Administrative Communications (3 Credits)
- EDL513 - Leading Curriculum & Learning Theory (3 Credits)
- EDL514 - Personnel, Supervision, & Staff Development (3 Credits)
- EDL515 - Education Law & Ethics (3 Credits)
- EDL516 - Education Finance & Policy (3 Credits)
- EDL519 - Principalship (2 Credits)
Required Core Courses (24 Credits)
- EDL503 - Seminar in Educational Leadership: Orientation (2 Credits)
- EDL503 - Seminar in Educational Leadership: Capstone (2 Credits)
- EDL572 - Educational Systems & Planning (2 Credits)
- EDL573 - Administration & Organizational Behavior (3 Credits)
- EDL575 - Education & Public Policy (3 Credits)
- EDL579 - Special Topic: Literature Review (3 Credits)
- EDL579 - Special Topic: Research (3 Credits)
- EDL579 - Special Topic: Issues & Trends in Education (3 Credits)
- EDL579 - Special Topic: Curriculum & Learning (3 Credits)
Educational Leadership PK-12 Core Courses (17 Credits)
- EDL523 - The Educational Plant (2 Credits)
- EDL524 - Educational Personnel Administration (2 Credits)
- EDL526 - Educational Finance (2 Credits)
- EDL527 - Legal Issues in Education (3 Credits)
- EDL531 - School District Leadership (2 Credits)
- EDL532 - Staff & Program Evaluation (2 Credits)
- EDL533 - Collective Negotiations (2 Credits)
EDL571 - School Community Relations (2 Credits)
Foundations of Education (6 Credits for PhD; 12 Credits for EdD)
- EDL517 - Social, Cultural, Political & Community Dimensions of Schools (4 Credits)
- EFR500 - Foundations of Educational Thought (3 Credits)
- EFR501-508 (2-3 Credits for PhD; 8-9 Credits for EdD)
Cognate or Minor Area(s) (12-24 Credits)
Include one or two cognate areas outside Educational Administration and often outside the field of Education to support the area of emphasis. The cognate or minor may include courses from your master’s degree program or other graduate courses already completed and acceptable for inclusion in a cognate or minor for a doctoral program of study, and/or courses to be taken prior to, concurrent with, or following the sequence of courses provided to the cohort.
Scholarly Tools (9 Credits for PhD; 6 Credits for EdD)*
- EFR510 - Qualitative Research Methods (3 Credits)
- EFR516 - Statistics II (required prerequisite: Statistics I or equivalent) (3 Credits)
*EFR515 - Statistics I (or its equivalent) may not be used to fulfill Scholarly Tools.
Internship (1-8 Credits)**
EDL593 - Internship in Educational Leadership (1-8 Credits)
**Not required but often advisable, depending on student experience and goals. These credits are reported in your major.
Dissertation (12 Credits for PhD; 10 Credits for EdD)
EDL999 - Doctoral Dissertation