2+ Years to Complete
Live Web Classes Held at Set Times
In-State Tuition Regardless of Residency
We Can Help
Master of Science in Applied Economics (MSAE)
Begins every Fall (August), Spring (January) & Summer (May)
Who Should Apply?
If you are seeking a career as a business economist or other related profession, UND’s Master of Science in Applied Economics (MSAE) degree is designed for you.
The MSAE program emphasizes the development of professional economists who may do economic research, consulting, and forecasting for organizations of all sizes and types, including government and private industry.
You may also want to earn your MS in Applied Economics if you are interested in pursing your doctorate degree in economics or related fields.
Typically, graduate students in Applied Economics have educational backgrounds in economics or business, with a strong background in macroeconomic and microeconomic theory.
UND’s part-time, online program is designed for working professionals who are unable to attend a full-time, on-campus program.
Admission Requirements: Master of Science in Applied Economics (MSAE)
- A four-year bachelor's degree or higher from a regionally accredited college or university.
- An overall undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 or greater for all undergraduate work, or a GPA of at least 3.00 for the junior and senior years of undergraduate work (based on A = 4.00).
- Submission of official scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT). At the discretion of the MSAE Program Director, test scores may be waived if you hold a graduate degree from an accredited school and a cumulative GPA of 3.25.
- All non-native speakers of English are required to submit their scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or equivalent. Refer to the admissions information on the UND School of Graduate Studies website for details.
- 18 credits of undergraduate coursework in economics, mathematics or statistics. Applicants are expected to be knowledgeable in intermediate macroeconomics, intermediate microeconomics, applied calculus or calculus, and introductory statistics as determined by the MSAE Program Director.*
*NOTE: You may be eligible for admission with "Qualified" status by completing at least 9 credits of prerequisite undergraduate coursework, provided you meet all other stated admission criteria. In such cases, you must satisfy all conditions stated in your admission letter in order to advance to "Approved" status. Failure to address all conditions stated in the admission letter will be viewed as unsatisfactory progress and could result in dismissal from the UND School of Graduate Studies.
For detailed information on admission requirements and the application process, please refer to the UND School of Graduate Studies.
Student Profile for Applied Economics Master's Program
On average, students admitted into UND's MSAE program have:
- GPA = 3.43
- GMAT Score = 550 (49th percentile)
- GRE Verbal = 62nd percentile
- GRE Math = 69th percentile