12 Months to Complete
Outpatient Medical Coding & Billing
Certification / Licensure - Exam Prep
- Be proficient in skills such as medical terminology, communication, telephone techniques, organization, and time management.
- Have knowledge of Medical Practice Settings and Specialties, as well as the differences in Traditional and Managed Care. You also learn about Commercial, HMO/PPO, Federal and State insurance plans, including eligibility and coverage, as well as reimbursement methodologies.
- Have knowledge of the legal and ethical responsibilities of an administrative medical specialist, including the HIPAA mandates, the rules for maintaining privacy of medical records and protected health information, and the types of consents and disclosures that are required in a medical office environment.
- Be able to perform tasks associated with the entire Accounts Receivable and Revenue cycle, including scheduling and registration of patients, posting of accounting transactions, completion of insurance claim forms, and collections.
- Be able to perform the day-to-day tasks associated with medical coding, medical billing, and completing insurance forms.
- Be prepared to complete more advanced national certifications as a medical coder.